BOATING THE GREAT LAKES
With nearly 11,00 miles of shoreline, the sheer size of this territory offers countless fun boating opportunities. The Great Lakes are comprised of a total of six lakes - Lake Erie, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, Lake Ontario, Lake Superior, and Lake St. Clair. The territory enters into eight states – Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and two Canadian regions – Ontario and Québec.
With extensive wilderness, waterfront beaches, and clear waters, there are a number of diverse areas to explore.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Boating Safety Certificate
- Boat Registration
- Proof of Insurance
- A Reserved Slip (there are many marinas across the Great Lakes. Make sure to have a slip reserved for the season or for the day).
- Alcohol: limited to certain areas in the state parks, recreation areas, and boating access sites. If operating a boat, PWC, or other heavy machinery, alcohol-use is not permitted.
- Operator Restrictions: it is encouraged that everyone operating a boat enroll in a boating safety course.
- Buoys and Markers: know the “traffic signals” on the water.
- Life Jackets: personal flotation devices should be worn at all times.
- New Laws: Removal of drain plugs and aquatic organisms from boats and trailers and the disposal of unused baitfish.
- Pet Restrictions: there are some restrictions in certain locations, depending on the time of year.
SKISAFE MICHIGAN BOAT INSURANCE
The SkiSafe underwriting team is highly experienced when it comes to writing boat insurance policies in freshwater locations. SkiSafe offers Michigan boat insurance quotes and policies that address the specific risks of boating in freshwater at affordable prices.
As a leading Michigan boat insurance provider, we offer many coverage options. Different boats require different protection plans. Here are some common coverage options and features:
- “All-Risk” Coverage: Covers your boat, trailer, and insured property for all accidental physical damage unless specifically excluded by your policy. This may include damage that occurs from fire, theft, collision, storms, trailering and more.
- Replacement Cost Coverage: If your new boat is destroyed beyond repair within the first 36 months after purchase, we may buy you a brand-new version of the same boat, including all features and equipment.
- Agreed Value Coverage: If your boat is destroyed, you will be paid the agreed value that you insured it for without any depreciation.
- Towing and Roadside Assistance: Coverage for towing your boat on the water or on land. Your auto insurance won’t pay for this.
- Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability: Protects you against liability for bodily injury or property damage to others as well as for pollution or contamination.
- Medical Payments: Provides coverage for medical expenses to others whether you are at fault or not.