For now, it is vital to prepare for intensifying conditions. Please find our hurricane preparedness tips below:
- Register for your community’s alert system.
- Know your zone. Find out if you live in a hurricane evacuation area by contacting your local government/emergency management office or by checking the evacuation zones.
- Review your insurance policies.
- Secure your home. Cover all windows with either permanent storm shutters or marine plywood. Secure all water pipes throughout your property to prevent water damage.
- If your area is advised to evacuate, have a plan of where you will go and how to get there. Local evacuation routes will be available from your local emergency management agency.
- If you are not ordered to evacuate, take refuge in a small interior room. Stay away from windows, skylights, and glass doors.
- Create an emergency communication plan for your household.
- Follow the instructions issued by local officials.