Hurricane Florence is expected to strengthen and be an extremely dangerous storm as it continues its path to North and South Carolina. If you are along the Southeast coast or further inland and at risk of flooding, it is vital to prepare for these rapidly intensifying conditions. Please find our top tips below:
- Register for your community’s alert system.
- Know your zone. Find out if you live in a hurricane evacuation area by contacting your local government/emergency management office or by checking the evacuation zones.
- Review your insurance policies.
- Secure your home. Cover all windows with either permanent storm shutters or marine plywood. Secure all water pipes throughout your property to prevent water damage.
- If your area is advised to evacuate, have a plan of where you will go and how to get there. Local evacuation routes will be available from your local emergency management agency.
- If you are not ordered to evacuate, take refuge in a small interior room. Stay away from windows, skylights, and glass doors.
- Create an emergency communication plan for your household.
- Follow the instructions issued by local officials.